Have I mentioned I have baked so much that I feel like I’ve actually showered myself in butter? It’s coming out of my pores, I do believe.
Anyway, I have a couple more treats to share with you all before Christmas. This one is a yummy and sweet cookie that I’ve made for the last couple of years. I found it in a Challenge Butter advertisement of all places. It’s much easier to make if you have a stand mixer. If you don’t, well, consider this dough a bicep workout.
My favorite thing about this recipe is that it yields a lot of cookies with one batch, so it’s great for filling up cookie trays and using as gifts.
The combo of craisins, coconut and orange zest is really yummy. Really.
Coconut-Cranberry Cookies (recipe from Challenge Butter)
The mixture will look dry until it comes together as a dough. If it’s too crumbly to form into balls, the dough needs to be mixed longer; it should be a smooth, homogeneous mass.
Yield: Makes about 6 dozen cookies
- About 1 1/2 cups (3/4 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked dried coconut
1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla until smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat on low speed until dough comes together, about 5 minutes. Mix in cranberries and coconut.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
4. Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven until cookie edges just begin to brown, 8 to 11 minutes (shorter baking time will yield a chewier cookie; longer baking time will yield a crispier cookie). If baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.